Welcome! My goal is to aid people in creating sustainable lives, both economically and ecologically. People will make changes for varying reasons; some to save money, others to preserve our Earth. When these two reasons can come together and attain the same goal, this makes for sustainable living on a broad scale and benefits us all. Read on for a variety of lifestyle tips, product choices and projects that lead to sustainable living.

Monday, April 9, 2012

Hand salve-ation!


Over my break from school I tried a couple of home made, natural body products. I pay attention to the ingredients in my body products, but you still never know exactly what is in there. Additionally, the organic and all-natural brands tend to be far out of my price range. EWG's Skin Deep Cosmetics Database is one way to do a background check on your products. As it shows, some are good, some are great, and some are terrifying.

The database helps me to know which products are less likely to be harmful; but making my own products gives me a bit more reassurance, costs much less and is, well, kind of fun. The first product I tried was a hand salve. I normally use hand lotion and I always thought salves were for people doing hard labor with their hands. Then I realized: I'm a student nurse, I too am doing hard labor with my hands and constantly washing them!

So, I gave it a go and I am so glad I did. The salve is amazing. It was quick and easy to make, you can customize the scent if desired, it will last quite a while because you only need to use a very small amount and, most importantly, my skin is so baby soft!

Recipe (found here):
3 tablespoons Beeswax pastilles (I bought a block of beeswax and a cheese grater and grated 3 tablespoons instead of purchasing pastilles)
1/2 C Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Jojoba Oil (I used EVOO because I already had it on hand)
A few drops of essential oil for scent (optional)
1 capsule of vitamin E, cut and squeeze out liquid (optional)

Place the beeswax and Oil into an old mug, microwave for 1:20, stir while adding essential oils and vitamin E if desired. Pour into container and let harden.

See, I told you it was quick and easy! The longest part was the grating, which can be completely bypassed if you purchase pastilles instead of a block. Use this salve anywhere that needs some extra nourishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment