Welcome! My goal is to aid people in creating sustainable lives, both economically and ecologically. People will make changes for varying reasons; some to save money, others to preserve our Earth. When these two reasons can come together and attain the same goal, this makes for sustainable living on a broad scale and benefits us all. Read on for a variety of lifestyle tips, product choices and projects that lead to sustainable living.

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pet products that don't dent the environment


I have a cat. Her name is Puma. I may be biased, but she's the best cat in the world. In fact, half the reason for this post is so that I can show you cute pictures of her. The other half is to tell you about a better option for cat litter. I used to use the standard clay litter and hated it. It always had a weird smell, produced dust that my asthmatic lungs couldn't handle, and was so heavy. So, as usual, I did my research and found an awesome alternative: Feline Pine Cat Litter.

I first tried FP long ago. It was the pellet kind and I just didn't like that it didn't clump. Somewhere between then and now FP developed a clumping litter, so I gave it a try. It works wonderfully. Clumps incredibly well, masks odors and actually smells nice on it's own, given that it is pine. Now, before you go all, "What about the trees?!" on me, just know that they manufacture FP from scraps of wood leftover from logging. And since it is natural wood, we can put this back into the environment without guilt. The box is cardboard, so recycle or compost that baby!

Feline pine has no chemicals or additives, it is literally just pine. Their box says "Healthy home. Healthy cat. They are what they eat, and breath, and lick, and touch." I love this motto because isn't that what we all want? We want products in our home that keep us healthy, including our pets. Finding sustainable and healthy options for our pets is just as important as finding them for ourselves.

I've used FP for years now. I will never go back to clay litters. In all honesty, my new goal is to train Puma to use the toilet and get rid of the box altogether. Wouldn't that be a dream? Well, this process can take a while and I am still doing my research as to how to begin. So, in the meantime, I will stick with my Feline Pine. If you'd like to try FP out risk-free, they are offering a free rebate right now. The deadline to buy is 3/31 and to mail in the form is 4/15. Save your receipt, remove the UPC from the box, and mail them in with the form.

One more Puma picture. If you can find her.

No comments:

Post a Comment