Welcome! My goal is to aid people in creating sustainable lives, both economically and ecologically. People will make changes for varying reasons; some to save money, others to preserve our Earth. When these two reasons can come together and attain the same goal, this makes for sustainable living on a broad scale and benefits us all. Read on for a variety of lifestyle tips, product choices and projects that lead to sustainable living.

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Freezerphile: Fresh herbs

This is a start of a new series that I am calling Freezerphile, in which I share my ideas for freezing foods! Your freezer is a great tool when it comes to saving you money. You've all frozen leftovers at some point I am sure. Freezerphile isn't about freezing leftovers though. It is about how to make the most out of the components of cooking, that you'd otherwise throw away, by freezing them. This edition is focusing on fresh herbs.

If you're like me, you find that cooking with fresh herbs makes all the difference. In the summer I grow my own indoor herb garden, but the cloudy Seattle winters don't allow that garden to flourish past September. So, for 9 months (yes, it really is cloudy that long) I am forced to choose between dried herbs or purchasing fresh from the grocery store, which gets a little bit pricey to do over and over. Luckily, my local Co-op sells them in large bunches so I can usually get them for a bargain, but because it is a large bunch I can never seem to finish them all. I hate throwing out things that I love and know I'll need again in another week or two, what a waste!

Recently, I had the idea to freeze them in hopes of retaining more of the fresh flavor that you don't get from drying them. So, I gave it a go and it was a great success! The thawed leaves retained a great smell and flavor. They are not pretty like truly fresh herbs, so I wouldn't use them for a garnish. But if you're only going for flavor, then this is your method!

First, you'll need herbs and an ice tray. Later on: Water, plastic wrap and/or aluminum foil. And, of course, a freezer!

Start by washing your herbs well and shaking the excess water off. Clearly it doesn't matter if they are super dry, but it will make the next part easier if they aren't soaked. After the herbs are washed, take a seat and begin pulling off the leaves. I just pulled and snipped at my leaves with my fingers instead of going to the trouble of chopping them. If you prefer them chopped, go for it! As I pulled, I placed them in each tray, being sure not to fill above the line that the water will stop at. Make sure to label your tray. Even if you are only using one type of herb now, you may add a different type later. I used a dry-erase marker so that I can re-label later.






Next, pour in just enough water to cover your herbs....













....until they're all bathing nicely.












Lastly, cover them with plastic wrap and/or aluminum foil and pop them in your freezer! My freezer likes to evaporate the ice we make, and I do not want this happening with my herbs' water. Additionally, since I stack my trays, this prevents herbs from freezing to the bottom of the tray sitting on top of it. I use both plastic and foil, but I may be a little paranoid.



Once it is frozen, this is what you will get: frosty herb cubes!



If you're a good planner, you can pop a cube or two out ahead of time and let it thaw slowly. If you're like me, use the quick thaw method. In a tea kettle, heat some water but do not let it boil. Pour a small amount over the cube and it will quickly melt. Then simply drain and add to your dish!

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment