Welcome! My goal is to aid people in creating sustainable lives, both economically and ecologically. People will make changes for varying reasons; some to save money, others to preserve our Earth. When these two reasons can come together and attain the same goal, this makes for sustainable living on a broad scale and benefits us all. Read on for a variety of lifestyle tips, product choices and projects that lead to sustainable living.

Sunday, September 23, 2012

DIY It: Homemade Perfume

I'd say it is about time for another homemade body product post. These are always my favorite projects to try out. Today I am sharing a homemade solid perfume that I found at Crunchy Betty's site. I include the basic recipe here, but I highly recommend you check out her site for better pictures, scent ideas, and more containers for your perfume. She has amazing ideas and my photos are a bit lacklustre.

What you'll need:
40-45 drops Essential Oils per 4tsp of base (beeswax+oil)
2 tsp Beeswax, pastilles or grated from a block
2tsp Carrier oil (I used Olive, as usual)
Container for perfume (old lip gloss containers work great, the finger or stick kind)
  • First, in a separate container, blend your oils to the desired scent. It will be strong, but once blended with base, will mellow out.

  • Next, place your beeswax in a boil-able container. I used a shot glass. Then, place the shot glass in a pot of water. The water in the pot should only come halfway up the shot glass or less. Just enough to heat the glass and melt the wax. Ensure no water gets into the wax.
  • Turn on the burner to medium heat or less. Really, the wax will melt very fast, especially if you are only making one container of perfume. Once melted, using an oven glove, remove the hot wax container and quickly add your essential oils to the shot glass and mix together. The wax will harden very fast so act quickly because you do not want it to harden here.  If it does harden, just reheat briefly until melted in the pot again.
  • Last, transfer mixture to your perfume container and let harden completely, usually within 10 minutes. 





This project was extremely fast and easy, with hardly any clean-up in the end. These would make great gifts for holidays, birthdays, bridesmaids, you name it. And don't think they are just for women. Experiment with your oils and you can definitely come up with a cologne for the special man in your life too. I choose lavendar and vanilla, two of my favorites. I rub some just behind my earlobes/under my jaw bone and on the inside of my elbow and wrists too. 

The best part is these are all-natural and environmentally safe. I tend to be very sensitive to perfumes, getting headaches or respiratory discomfort easily (thank you asthma). I was searching for a better way to smell amazing without all the chemicals that commercial perfumes use. This is the answer, and the money-saving factor helps too. I hope your enjoy your hand-crafted perfume as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment